Students Studying in their Home Country

International students wishing to either take courses in their home country during the summer or take a semester off from GW and study in their home countries must register their interest with the Office for Study Abroad and complete the following requirements in the semester before they go abroad.


  • Students must be non-U.S. citizens looking to take courses in their home country (the country from which their passport is issued)
  • Students must attend an accredited institution of higher education in their home country (study abroad programs run by U.S. organizations are not acceptable)

Before Registering with GW:

  • Select a university in your home country and discuss course options with your GW academic advisor.
  • Apply to an accredited university in your home country.
  • Notify International Services Office (ISO) of your intention to study in your home country.
  • If possible, obtain course approvals for the courses you plan to take while in your home country.

After Acceptance to a Host Institution:

  • Complete the registration process with GW on GW Passport.
  • Complete all forms listed on the right-hand side of the screen.
  • Notify your academic advisor and ISO of your intention to study in your home country, especially if you will be gone for a full semester or year.
  • If you are studying in your home country during the fall or spring semester, you must contact your academic advisor and be placed on a leave of absence for the semester you are away.  Students studying in their home country during the fall or spring semesters cannot be registered for study abroad at GW.
  • All home country students will pay the host university directly for all program costs.

Know the Transfer Credit Policies:

  • Students are eligible to transfer up to 9 total credits from study in their home country to their GW transcripts. 
  • Once 9 credits have been transferred from home country study, a student is no longer eligible to transfer credits to their GW transcript under this policy, even if the 9 credits transferred were taken across multiple terms.
  • Courses cannot be altered once transferred. Therefore, if 9 credits are transferred to your GW transcript and you take another course in your home country, you cannot transfer the new course in exchange for a course already transferred.
  • If you wish to study for a semester in your home country but have already exhausted your limit of 9 credits or you wish to transfer more than 9 credits from one semester abroad, you must complete the formal GW study abroad registration process and be registered for study abroad status whereby you will pay GW tuition and fees for a semester abroad.

While in Your Home Country:

  • Earn grades of C- or higher in your courses in order to be eligible to transfer them back to GW.
  • Be sure to bring back coursework, syllabi, exams, etc. so that professors at GW can assign appropriate GW course equivalents (see Transferring Credit). You may need to show translated copies if these documents are written in another language.

Upon Return to GW:

  • Make sure an official copy of your transcript is sent to the Office for Study Abroad (do NOT send transcript to GW Admissions, your academic advisor, or the Registrar's Office). You may hand deliver the transcript as long as you have not broken the seal.
  • Provide a certified translation of the transcript if necessary.
  • Make sure you have submitted course approvals to the Office for Study Abroad for each of the courses you took while in your home country.
  • Check in with ISO to make sure you are in compliance with your U.S. visa.

Please note:

  • If you have financial aid or merit scholarships you will not receive the grants or scholarships while studying in your home country.  For questions regarding this, please see the Office of Student Financial Assistance.
  • International students wishing to study in their home country during the fall or spring semesters must take a leave of absence and cannot be registered for study abroad.
  • International students MUST maintain a current U.S. address while abroad.