The Office for Study Abroad (OSA) facilitates a series of pre-departure events throughout the semester to prepare students for their study abroad experience. The OSA believes that proper planning and expectation setting are needed for a sucessful semester abroad. The OSA is committed to helping GW students make meaningful academic connections abroad through a series of events. These events provide a framework to help students understand the diverse cultures and communities they will be entering while also addressing logistical concerns needed to ensure a smooth transition abroad. The OSA organizes our pre-departure events in three groups:
1. Online International Logistics Information & Quiz:
- The Online International Logistics Information is embedded within a student's GW Passport application. The online information is a series of three self-paced video lectures. In these lectures students learn about the transfer credit process, health and safety abroad and important financial information. Students are required to take a short quiz after they watch the video lecture series.
2. Short Workshop Style Presentations:
- With the help of alumni and campus partner feedback, our office offers workshops on a weekly basis throughout the semester to help students create action plans around key challenges faced while abroad. Please review the OSA Calendar or your Pre-Departure Materials within GW Passport to see our schedule presentations. This semester the OSA is offering presentations on the areas below:
Identity Without Borders: Explore and discuss how your identity can be strengthened and challenged abroad
Professional Development: Gain insight into how your abroad experience can translate to academic and career success
Diving In: Tools for Cultural Engagement: Understand how and gain tools to effectively cope with cultural adjustment
Budgeting: Learn about the finances for studying abroad and tips for budgeting during your time abroad
3. Study Abroad Send-Off Celebration & Alumni Regional Discussion:
- We are excited to invite all summer, fall, and academic year 2017 study abroad applicants to our GW Office for Study Abroad Regional Alumni Networking Sessions and Bon Voyage Celebration on the evening of Thursday, April 6th. It is highly recommended students attend these events as we will have important visa and insurance paperwork available for pick up as well as a host of study abroad alumni with invaluable knowledge to share with students planning to go abroad.
Regional Alumni Networking Sessions will take place from 6:00-6:45pm where alumni who studied abroad and will share their experiences and advice as well as answer any questions students may have. Our Bon Voyage Celebration will take place directly afterwards from 6:45-8:00pm in the Marvin Center Continental Ballroom and will include a variety of fun activities, student performances, and keynote speaker, Dr. Tim Miller. Students will also have the opportunity network with study abroad alumni, fellow study abroad students, Office for Study Abroad staff, GW faculty members, and academic advisors from GWSB, SEAS, CCAS, SPH, and ESIA. Refreshments will be provided!